Shrewton Running Club Constitution
Shrewton Running Club
DATE: 6th November 2016
Note: Terms in bold are defined in §12 below
- The name of the Club shall be Shrewton Running Club, hereinafter referred to as “the Club”.
- To promote an interest in the sport of running in Shrewton and the surrounding areas and to organise, arrange and participate in running events.
- To encourage members to become qualified coaches for the benefit of all members.
- To foster a spirit of inclusiveness, informality, fellowship and mutual encouragement between members of the Club.
- The club shall apply to be affiliated to England Athletics or any other suitable organisation as decided by the committee. Members can opt to take individual affiliation only at the time of joining or renewal.
- The Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and shall include the Officers of the Club. Other members shall be elected at the AGM to make up a committee of at least five members (including the Officers) and a maximum of 10 (including the Officers).
- The Committee shall meet not less than four times a year, and the presence of four members shall be necessary to form a quorum.
- All major decisions will be by a majority vote, which will be recorded in the minutes by the Secretary. The Chairperson (or Acting Chairperson when the Chairperson is not present) has an additional casting vote in the event of a tie.
- The Committee has the power to co-opt extra members, to create Trustees and to form a sub-committee as and when considered necessary.
- The Club shall exist as a non-profit making organisation, other than for the Club’s benefit.
- Any information, documentation and intellectual rights produced by a Club Official, at any time on behalf of the club and in any format, shall be deemed Club property and copyright will be owned by the club. Wherever possible and practical a Club Official shall hold a copy of such information as part of the Club’s archives.
- Any general funds raised by the Club shall be distributed at the discretion of the Committee.
- Membership of the Club is available to any person of at least 18 years of age, unless excluded specifically under §6.3 or §6.7.
- Membership of the Club shall be confined to amateurs as defined by England Athletics (EA).
- An application for Membership shall be made either using the designated form or by applying in electronic format from the club website. In exceptional circumstances the committee reserve the right to refuse membership by majority vote. If this happens a full written explanation will be provided by the Secretary, or other designated official, to the applicant.
- Each member shall pay an annual subscription decided at the AGM.
- Subscriptions must be paid for the current year before the member can compete for the Club.
- When members are invited to renew their membership, annual subscriptions shall be paid within three months of the renewal date. Any member who has not paid their annual subscription within this renewal period shall be deemed no longer to be a member of the club.
- A notice of resignation by a member must be made in writing to the Club Secretary. No refunds of subscriptions will be made to a resigning member unless approved by majority vote of the committee.
- The Club year shall run from 1st January to 31st December each year.
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- The AGM under normal circumstances, shall be held during February or March each year and the following business undertaken:
- Annual report will be read and discussed.
- The finalised accounts will be presented.
- The Officers and Committee shall be elected.
- Membership fees for the following year shall be agreed.
- Any other matter specified on the Agenda.
- Attendance of the AGM will be restricted to members of the Club defined in §12.1.
- Notice of the AGM must be provided to all members at least three weeks before, by giving official notice on the club website and by various other unofficial means such as verbal announcements, the Club Facebook page, Twitter account and email messages. Motions to be put to the AGM must be submitted in writing at least 14 days before the meeting. All nominations for Officers of the Club together with the names of a proposer and seconder must be submitted in writing or electronic format to the Secretary at least 14 days before the date of the AGM and will be acknowledged by the Secretary on receipt. Nomination, proposers and seconders must be members of the club as described in §7.2.
- The Club rules/constitution may be changed by a simple majority of members attending the meeting (also see §10 below).
- All other decisions will be by a majority vote, the Chairperson (or Acting Chairperson if the Chairperson is not present) having the casting vote in the event of a tie.
- The Club Colours shall be: green and white hoops with the Club name on the front and additional images and text agreed by the committee.
- Where feasible Club Colours should be worn by all members representing the Club at every representative meeting and for Club competition races unless the requirement is relaxed for a specific race or event agreed by the Committee.
- The Club will adopt and uphold the UK Athletics policies as set out at http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/governance/policies/.
Amendments to Constitution
- The Committee by a simple majority (see §7.4 above) may propose amendments to the Rules/Constitution. In the event of a tied vote the Chairperson (or Acting Chairperson in his/her absence) shall have a casting vote.
- The changes may be made only at the AGM or at an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) called for that purpose.
- A number of constitutional changes can be voted through at once at the discretion of the Chairperson or Acting Chairperson at the meeting.
- Four weeks notice must be given for an EGM. A quorum of one quarter of all members is required at either the AGM or EGM. If the motion is passed at the AGM/EGM by a simple majority the amendments to the Rules/Constitution will be adopted immediately.
- Any proposed rule changes will be made available to members at least four weeks prior to the AGM or EGM, either on the club website or by email or both.
- Alternatively, two thirds of members may petition the Club Secretary in writing to call an EGM whereupon the conditions in §10.4 above apply.
- The Committee by a two thirds majority at a quorum meeting may decide to dissolve the Club. They must then call an EGM giving four weeks notice to all Club members. The motion shall be passed by a two thirds majority of all members present.
- Alternatively, at least one half of members may petition the Club Secretary in writing to call an EGM. whereupon conditions in §7 above will apply re: calling such a meeting and voting at it.
- Upon dissolution any funds remaining after meeting all debts will be used in the furtherance of amateur athletics in the County of Wiltshire.
Definition of Terms
- Member or members : Paid-up members, members who are not yet paid-up but have submitted a valid application form and members awaiting a transfer from another club.
- Officers : Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer.
Approval on Behalf of the Committee
Version 2 – Amended June 2017